Monday, January 19, 2009

Looking Back....Looking Forward

A lot of people think I went to a photography or art school and majored in photography. The real truth is I majored in modern American history at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, and have still maintained an interest in that historical period (just ask my wife about my attention span when a post-WWII history show comes on the Discovery or History channels).

I've been working on a few personal projects as a way to become more familiar with Apple's iPhoto and iMovie programs on my Mac, and the historical significance of the juxtaposition of Martin Luther King Jr. Day today and the inauguration of our country's first African American President tomorrow couldn't be more striking. I've been working on this idea ever since I realized that Obama accepted the Democratic nomination on the 45th anniversary of Dr. King's "I have a Dream" speech. I looked at the 2009 calendar and saw the connection between the inauguration and Martin Luther King Jr. day, and immediately thought about the significance if Obama were to win the general election. It just took me awhile to actually figure out how to do something with the idea.

Regardless of whether your political views are red or blue, hopefully the incoming President can shed some light towards a brighter future for this country.


From MLK to BHO from Jay Crihfield on Vimeo.

It's safe to say I'm not going to be giving Ken Burns a run for his money anytime soon, but personal projects like this are a fun way for me to stay creative outside the world of wedding and portrait photography!